Spend the day with Anna, exploring the simple beauty of hand quilting by learning to hand stitch a cushion top or wall hanging.
Teacher: Anna Farago
Workshop Duration: Full day
Description: The workshop will start with the essentials of how to prepare and secure the layers of a quilt. Once the layers are prepared, options for marking where to stitch will be shown and explained. Finally the hand stitching will be the focus. You will have plenty of time to get your hand quilting technique worked out, practiced and applied. Binding will also be on the agenda.
Materials to bring:
- top fabric for cushion: 21 x 21 inches OR
- top fabric for cot sized quilt: 1 metre of fabric which is at least 115cm wide
- base fabric for cushion: 21 x 21 inches for backing. Preferably something plain and simple like calico or cotton OR
- base fabric for cot sized quilt: 1 metre of fabric which is at least 115cm wide. eg. flannelette or brushed cotton for back of the quilt
- rotary cutter and cutting mat (if you have one. Some will be supplied if you don't)
- water soluble fabric marker, greylead pencil, ruler and masking tape
- Perle 8 or sashiko thread
- sturdy long needle with large eye – Sashiko or Straws
Samples and examples of quilts and cushions made using the techniques and methods to be used during the workshop will be on show. Quilting pins and clips are provided.
Takeaway: Depending on designs and stitching time, you will leave with a near finished hand quilted cushion top or small quilt and the knowledge and instructions on how to finish it off.